Friday, September 9, 2016

Bad Boy Memoir

                                               Voice

The author of "Bad Boy" by Walter Dean Myers is very unique. He gives details about his complicated family and the many challenges he faces every day at school. He tells it like it is, straight to the point. The way he deals with bullies is very amusing but not the first approach you should take. He is very smart but is easily discouraged by those who pick on him. This memoir is very interesting and I can't wait to keep reading!  

2 comments:

  1. I love thinking about the idea of voice, Caylah! And I absolutely love the idea here you're thinking about that he just "tells it like it is, straight to the point." Sometime I feel like we are all trying to sound "smart" in our writing, whereas the most intelligent and touching writing is just straight up and direct.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also agree with Ms. Garvoille. Often we try to "juice up" our writing by adding fancy vocabulary words (I will sometimes open a thesaurus to find interesting words), or too many metaphors. I often like writing that is directly to the point, because it's not only easy to understand, but easy to become interested in.

    ReplyDelete