Sunday, September 18, 2016

The Color of Water

Some problem that I believe that authors face while writing a memoir is remembering and recreating memories for the story. I also believe that trying to be descriptive of a moment and or image. By showing what had happened and not just telling the reader of what happened in the author's life. I also think that being exaggerate but not going to far and making the story unbelievable could be an obstacle to cross while writing a memoir. One last thing that I believe would be an obstacle while writing a memoir is mentioning things that happened in their life. That could have been a very sensitive subject to the author.

I wonder at what point in a your own life do you start off at? For example would I start at the point in my life where I am right now and then go back to an earlier point in my life. Then write about everything that's been important in my life that has led me where I am right now. Or do I not even start with me and explain where my parents met and there relationship with each other? What points in my life do I make known and write about to make the story interesting.

Some of the big hang ups in my life that I am worried about are things in my early years of elementary. That I can't really remember. Like on my first day of school. That was the a very important point in my life. That I have a faint memory of. Another big hang up that I worry about are the important things of my life that I want to write about that don't involve me. Like how my parents met each other, stories of things they've done and the places they've gone. Details of memories I remember and creating an image of what happened. While writing an entertaining story would create an obstacle for me.

2 comments:

  1. You raise great questions about writing a memoir. How does McBride structure his memoir? At what point does he begin his story? Cite an example of structure from McBride's memoir to talk about how you might use or not use that kind of structure in your memoir.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also, remember our lesson on detail and memory in class? You don't have to remember every single detail of a certain day in order to write a good story about it. The beauty of writing is that you get to include and exclude whatever details you feel will make your story interesting and you can slant the details in any way you want to convey whatever mood or feeling you hope to convey.

    ReplyDelete