Sunday, September 18, 2016

post #2

"On Sunday mornings Momma served a breakfast that was geared to hold us quiet from 9:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m."

Whenever I would stay at my Grandma's house she, along with my aunt, would make a huge lunch for me, my cousins, uncle, and a few of the neighbors because why not. It would  take so long to make that we wouldn't eat until 4:00 p.m. most of the time. But regardless of how long it would take to make, the food would always be delicious, especially when my grandma made her "from scratch' sweet potato pie. They would also make  collards, corn, mashed potatoes, green beans, okra, fried chicken, and everyone's favorite, her homemade mac'n cheese that would always be gone five minutes after we stared eating.The food wasn't the only thing I loved about going to my grandma's house for meals. The house would almost always be full of laughter.  As soon as you opened the screen door, a wall of indistinct noise of family members telling stories of when this happened or when that happened met you. The adults would always converse in one of three places, outside on the porch in the rocking chairs if the weather was nice, inside around her dining table, or in the sitting room where the big TV was. My cousins and I would usually occupy one of her guest bedrooms where a smaller TV was, and may cousin Zack would hook up his PC to the TV and we would watch anime for hours while the adults caught up with each other. My grandma is the kind of person who knew everyone and because of that she always had the lasted gossip of her church or of someone's grandchild's bad decisions. No matter how bad the news, she would always say it in a nice way. I didn't know that was even possible. I always loved going to my grandma's house most of all because I always felt a strong sense of home whenever I went over.

2 comments:

  1. I really like how you explain how you enjoy being at your grandmas house. I am one of those people who like going out and also catching up on the gossip and somehow end up tied up on it. Now a says kids prefer to be on their phones catches up on social media. You also created a strong sense of imagery.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete