Sunday, September 25, 2016

Into Thin Air Blog Post #3

I have a lot of questions about Into Thin Air because of the unique way it was written, such as, If the author couldn't think clearly after he got to a certain point up on the mountain how much of that part of the book is actually accurate? Is the author exaggerating what happens on the top because he cannot remember? And then Rob Hall's statement " every minute you remain at this altitude and above, your minds and bodies are deteriorating" , How is that not one of the scariest things anyone has ever said to you? He should have said something like Jon Krakauer said " The Way To Everest Is Not A Yellow Brick Road" because it get the same point across it's just not as point-blank as what he said. Also why did Lopsang not listen to Rob Hall when he told him to come back down the mountain? he endangered lives that way? Ultimately most of them ended up dead anyway, but it was still very unsafe, and its their job to make sure everyone is safe. All of these questions leave the reader wondering and some are good to be left with but others are just making the story complicated and confusing. I think there are things the author could have done better when he was writing the story, with the writing format and how he needed to spice up the story in some places because it got real boring but I think he did a good job making the reader get attached to characters so when they died they felt a tiny portion of what the author felt
   I think I definitely believe that reading this book has pointed out some do's and some don'ts for me when I begin to write my own memoir. I think reading other people's work really gives a sense of what needs to be done when writing.

No comments:

Post a Comment