Sunday, September 25, 2016

Into Thin Air #3

Alright, so I'm nearing the end of the book (approximately 3 chapters left) and as much as I hate spoiling a book I really kind of have to because I need to express my love for a certain character and I can't do that without giving away something that happens. So basically, my fav man, Rob Hall. He does not make it through the book. When I found out, no joke, I was devastated. I may or may not have cried but hey I'm a sucker for these things. I'm not going to get into the details of his death BUT I will say why I think I liked him so much. As I have conversed with the other members of my book group we have all decided that he was a likable character and we're all depressed that he's dead. I believe that the author does this on purpose (makes him a like able character) so when the time comes , you will feel more empathy and be sympathetic towards him than say some other character that also dies. I noticed that when another member of the team died (I'm not saying who) I did not feel the same kind of heart ache as I did when rob died. That could be because Jon didn't describe or make the other person sound as good of a person or make him as likeable. That may make me seem like a bad person because I didn't care that the other guy died but I just didn't feel the emotion. This entry is all of the place I am so sorry but I can't really describe my thoughts. I feel like Rob is everyone's favorite character because Jon goes into depth about how cool and whatever Rob is and then just leaves other character's lives blank. I also just want to say that I really do not enjoy Jon. He's so boring and his writing is not interesting. I feel like he should make himself sound cooler I mean he is the one writing the book so like come on pick it up a notch.

3 comments:

  1. Ok first of all, spoiler alert! I wanted to read this, but now I'm not as enthusiastic about it because I now know what happens! But it's okay girl, you gotta do what you gotta do, so there's respect there. Anyway, I totally understand your point about favorite characters. I don't get as attached to characters in books as I do in movies, but I guess it's just because movie stars get paid to make you like them in movies. I remember I was watching the Hunger Games one day, and I cried when my favorite character died (I'm praying everyone has seen all of the movies), Finnick. I loved him so much and then he goes and dies. I'm sitting there like " Why'd you have to go and do that?" I was kind of mad at him for it but it wasn't his fault so whatever. But anyway, I absolutely get it, and I'm glad you touched on something like that. Good job girl!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I see your point on how you may love one character more than the other because the author goes into more deatil about them. In this case the author makes the character so likable that it really stirred your emotions when he died. In the book I'm reading, The Glass Castle, the author shows her dad as a good person doing bad things that at the end you feel sympathy for them because they could not control their fate. You did a terrific job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with you every one bit. Jon goes into depth only really about Rob which makes use like him but knowing that he dies it makes you wonder why he wanted use to like him so much. I feel that Jon made him so likable because he wanted use to know how he felt when he figured out that Rob died.

    ReplyDelete