Sunday, September 18, 2016

RAMMSTEIN!


All right....time for some serious stuff. I've decided to include a video this time around. I was first drawn to the Mother's recollection of growing up with a creepy, molesting father. It's pretty messed up, and I wonder why the author included this if his mother didn't tell him anything about her childhood. If he was willing to make up something that important and retroactively damaging about his grandfather, then how do we know he didn't make up more? And why would his mother tell him this, when she wouldn't even talk about her religion or ethnicity? It leaves me with a lot of questions. The song I chose is Teir by Rammstein. I have two reasons for this.
Reason 1: Rammstein.
Reason 2: The subject matter is that same as the book. It's about incest and the min chorus translates to “man is just an animal.” I get the feeling that her parents were practically inhuman when she was growing up because her mother was so quiet and crippled and her father was distant and treated her really badly. Maybe the reason that she left her kids to fend for themselves is because she was afraid that if she let them depend on her then she'd let them down the same way her parents let her down. You know, as a protective measure.
It says on my rubric that I have to give my opinion on my chosen topic. Should be pretty concise- incest is bad, people. It ruins families, traumatizes children, and is mega illegal. Maybe in this day and age she could have found a way to escape and tell someone about her situation but back then she was so sheltered and completely lost without her parents that she was trapped with no way out. I remember back in elementary school, a teacher got busted for fooling around with a student, by another student, in the middle of the school day! Something like that couldn't go on, not with all these people around. But the authors mother had no way out. When she saw a route, she took it, no turning back. Closing off that section of her life, it was left to her son to reconstruct it after her death.


Sorry this post was kind of long and rambling. I didn't have any clear ideas this go-round.  

2 comments:

  1. I'm interested in how you thought the author dealt with writing on such a sensitive and traumatizing topic. Was the writing about incest extremely straightforward? Did he skirt around the issue? What is the best way to write about an unspeakable trauma: just go out and say it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. NICE! This was super cool and I like how you picked something so interesting to relate to something so sad and crazy in such a sad and crazy book. You are an excellent writer and an overall awesome person. :)

    ReplyDelete