Sunday, September 18, 2016

Bad Boy blog #2 by Walter Dean Myers

   My favorite character so far in this memoir is Walter. Walter is a young boy who is going through school in Harlem, New York. Walter has a strong love for reading, but is picked on by the other boys in his area, because its, "not what boys are supposed to do". Walter finds his way around the people who tease him about his reading but it is not  one of the best ideas. He relies on violence to help him out. It only lands him in more trouble. Walter will move on to high school with an even stronger passion for reading than he had before. He is getting into less fights, and is taking special placement classes due to his reading skills. Walter soon comes to realize that his new classmates love reading just as much as he does, and they do not pick on him for it like his old classmates did.
     The author makes a great characterization by describing all of the events that lead up to each point in Walters life as a kid. He highlights all of the key features like who helped him and what kind of things he was doing to get into trouble. 
     I think it would be fun to write a description of my mother. Leilani Owens is a very loving and caring lady. She does everything she can to help out with my siblings and I. She is always doing her best to make everyone happy, and to always make sure we are staying safe. Leilani has a strong passion for cooking and finding new and fun ways to cook. She has a lot of great recipes and she has no problem with trying new things. My family is so grateful for my mom. She Does anything in her power to make sure we are happy and healthy. 

5 comments:

  1. This book sounds interesting. I know a lot of times people, and boys in particular, are made fun of for being smart or enjoying reading. I think that often leads to people acting dumber than they are to fit in and that very sad because you can never grow that way. Luckily, Walter seems to have been able to overcome that obstacle because his love for literature was so strong, but unfortunately most people just become the dumber person they are pretending to be never reach their full potential.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This book sounds really cool. I can really relate to your bolg and to walter because my sister really loves reading. I don't think my sister has faced as many challenges in trying to read because iv never heard he complain about someone bulling her for reading. It is good to hear that walter got over his troubles in high school by moving to a smarter class that better suited him.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This book sounds really cool. I can really relate to your bolg and to walter because my sister really loves reading. I don't think my sister has faced as many challenges in trying to read because iv never heard he complain about someone bulling her for reading. It is good to hear that walter got over his troubles in high school by moving to a smarter class that better suited him.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wonder what are some examples of indirect characterization that Walter Dean Myers uses in his memoir? What are some ways that you can employ indirect characterization in your description of your mom?

    ReplyDelete
  5. The book sounds pretty interesting. Walter seems like a really strong and courageous kid. It's a good thing that he changed his character and became a different person. It's also a good thing that he began to read and that his new classmates were accepted and him and enjoyed reading as much as he did.

    ReplyDelete