Sunday, September 25, 2016

The Glass Castle- Character Description: Week 1

        So far my favorite character is the author of the book, Jeannette Walls. Jeannette is a stubborn, redheaded girl, who is very pale and tall. She lives with her mother, father and three siblings. She has a very close relationship with her father, but is distant from her mother. She is also very self-conscious about her teeth. I think that the author, Jeannette Walls, creates great characterization throughout the story by adding amazing details about the people close to her, and those not. By adding these specific details, the author creates imagery.
      To me, most of the events in this book don't seem like they really happened. They all seem so crazy. I think that Jeannette had a really hard life, and I think that make me look at life differently. This book made me realize that other people have it a lot harder than me. Most of the time you can't even begin to understand the hardships that they face. I think that some people, especially in this day and age, take a lot of things that they have for granted. They don't realize how bad other people have it. Jeannette and her bothers and sisters slept on cardboard mattresses, and had to eat cat food if they didn't have enough money to eat.
      I think that someone in my life who I would have fun describing would be my brother. My brother is really funny, and he likes to make up games and play them. He talks nonstop about every single thing, and sometimes he annoys me, but I love him anyways. He's a couple years younger than me, and he has dark brown hair, and sparkly blue eyes. He likes superheroes, and evil villains. He doesn't like to get messy, and he likes to collect rocks and sticks. I think it's really fun to describe things, people and experiences. These thing make up Jeannette Wall's memoir, The Glass Castle.

3 comments:

  1. I also really admire Jennette Walls. Sadly i have to disagree with u when u say that the things that happen don't seem like they really happened. Some people have it really rough, so actually i can see things happen. however i do agree it would be fun to describe a sibling like the authors of our memwares do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can tell just from this brief description of your younger brother that you pay attention to details:-) It will be interesting to see if your personal narrative will have your brother as a character in it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My favorite character is also Jeanette. I don't agree that some things didn't happen, however they may have been exaggerated. As Clay said, some people do have it really rough and Jeanette is probably just one of them. In addition, I wish you had included more about why you liked Jeanette. You described what she looks like and her relationships with other people, but you never said what about her you specifically like. What I like about her innocence and faith in other people. She trusts and hopes that others will do the right thing, even though deep down she may know that they will not.

    ReplyDelete