Sunday, September 18, 2016

Literary Device Admiration

One literary device my author uses very well is imagery. She describes everything so clearly its almost as if your watching the scenes play out on a screen in front of you. In one scene her mother was trying on a dress and she notes everything about her mothers appearance, it's as if your looking at her mother yourself. "Mami held a yellow blouse with a ruffled collar against her bosom, patted the neckline into shape, and stretched it across her shoulders to check the fit. It was a wonderful color against her skin, making freckles on her nose look like gold specs." She didn't stop at describing the dress, she went on to describe how it made her mothers face look. Including the details about the face just adds to the imagery in the story. In another part, Esmeralda's relatives were over for dinner and she explains in detail what happened after she finished eating. "Aunts and uncles came up the alley trailed by girls in white patent-leather shoes and flouncy dresses, their hair rolled into finger curls. The boys hung back, their pomaded hair and scrubbed faces serious, their pressed pants making them look as stiff as paper dolls." Esmeralda describes her cousins in such complete detail that you now know exactly what the girls were wearing, how their hair looked, what kind of shoes they were wearing, and you know that the boys were behind the girls, you know they looked serious, you know how their pants looked, and you know how their hair looked. When I read stories, I automatically imagine what the characters look like so I always enjoy books that don't just stop at the basic character description, but add extra detail onto what the characters look like. I think that is one of the thing that separates a great book from a good one. A story and makes is more enjoyable for me to read if I can put myself into the story and feel like I'm watching the events take place. I think its really important to give people that feeling while they are reading so I know I'm going to try to add that to my memoir to make it more enjoyable.

4 comments:

  1. I'm with you there Trey. Books have been my getaway, and that's made even better when I can imagine myself in the book. The book I'm reading for class is loaded with details and imagery. I can almost picture myself in the author's shoes. However, the details can be a little too much, and the book sometimes gets boring.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your quotes of description. These quotes are perfect examples of detailed writing within a memoir. Adding your own personal thoughts and opinions attract your audience to want to read that book. From your detailed blog, this book sounds very interesting and maybe others will want to read it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree! Feeling like you are "in" a story can make it so much more enjoyable to read. Using descriptive writing helps create that feeling.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I finally found great post here.I will get back here. I just added your blog to my bookmark sites. thanks.Quality posts is the crucial to invite the visitors to visit the web page, that's what this web page is providing. device

    ReplyDelete