Sunday, September 25, 2016

Into Thin Air Post #2

In the last few pages of chapter six, Krakauer talks more into his relationship with his wife Linda. Linda herself was a talented climber as well as Krakauer. But after the day she had an injury with her arm, Linda stopped climbing due to the risks that can occur as a result of climbing. Linda also didn't like/want her husband to be climbing either. Later on in their marriage, she had finally come to realize how important climbing was to him. It was like the idea is embedded in his DNA, and is something you can't change without lots of force. "Linda came to accept my climbing: she saw it was crucial (if perplexing) part of who I was. (Page 87, paragraph 4)"

When a person tries to accept a fact of another person that could lead the other person to injury, danger, or death, they may try to say that they accepted it. But they probably really didn't, at the least its probably unknown to them that they can't really take the pain of the risked loved one. Some examples can include the relationship between a parent and a child, another relationship that this could include is the relationship between a wife and husband. I am pretty sure that Linda is not OK with Jon (Krakauer) climbing all those mountains, especially Mt. Everest.

Linda makes a very good point at the end of the chapter. "If you get killed...I'll have to pay, too, you know, for the rest of my life. No matter how close Krakauer is to his wife he puts all of that aside to accomplish his childhood dream, is it worth the unlikely risk? I honestly don't know. I can also relate this to people that commit suicide. It's is not just themselves who they hurt but also the people who care about them. And don't you even ask; what if no one cares for them? There is always someone who cares for you, (I'm not just talking religiously but this can also include religion) even if it is someone you don't know. Even out of the people who read/make the report of your death, someone will care.

1 comment:

  1. I defiantly agree, this is really putting to light the relationships in the book and putting obstacles that force them to chose one the other. If I'm not mistaken I think the same the same thing happened to Scott. This is some thing that I feel like it was very common among climbers.

    ReplyDelete