Sunday, September 25, 2016

I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings by Maya Angelou

In the beginning of the book, when Maya or then called Margarite lived in Stamps, Arkansas life I was very interested in the life style she lived. I liked how I was able to see the segregation through the eyes of a young girl and not someone older with a more cohesive sense of thought. Segregation is something that people don't really enjoy going full detail into, leaving me curious and confused but this book is helping to quell those thoughts. The white people in the town harassed, Margarite's family multiple times, exerting their power over the oppressed. These parts in the story made me extremely sad because I kept thinking how this would be all Margarite would ever know. She wouldn't strive for something beyond that life because she doesn't know she can.

A part in the story that has really stuck with me is when Uncle Willie pretended to not be crippled when the teachers stopped by their house. This part was important to me because you can see how Uncle Willie tries to strive for something he has never experienced. He wants to be not crippled for once in his life. I think that the author included this event in her book because many people can relate to it. Everybody wants to get out of their life for one day, to be someone who they typically aren't. It is freeing and thought provocative experience because you get to see life from another person's point of view.

I think the book will press boundaries of what society is accepting of and will enlighten me of others point of views. Maya use of figurative language also increases my curiosity for what my happen. She seemed to foreshadow a part of the book in the prologue with the poem that she can't remember. I'm hoping that this book will change my views on memoirs and their meaning.

3 comments:

  1. Your analysis of Maya's childhood and deep thinking about the scene with Uncle Willie speak to your close reading. I like your attention to the skillful use of foreshadowing, as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like how you connected to the book in different ways, instead of just one. The book seems very interesting based on your post. I also get confused sometimes when I hear about segregation from an adult's point of view, because they usually just brush past the subject. Maya Angelou is a very creative person, so the memoir will probably continue to get more interesting and help you learn more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like how you touch on the fact that Maya was growing up in a community where she didn't know she could have a better future for herself. I think it's important for people to know their worth and to strive for the best in life, and the fact that you connected the book to that makes me really happy that someone also values that as much as I do.

    ReplyDelete