Sunday, September 18, 2016

Your Words Become Mine BLOG 2


Sitting in my attic room drifting off to sleep,

Unaware of what has taken place just underneath my feet,

Finally at peace dreaming up some fantasy I know I can't achieve,

The time slowly ticking by right in front of my shut eyes,

Two hours before I need to wake, the voices start to rise,

They rise up from the room beneath, becoming louder every word,

The birth place of the crime that’s found its way to be heard,

The voices echo from my air duct humming beside my ear,

I fell asleep to its noise to be woken by them too,

My ears bloodied from the cussing rampage they all too willingly absorbed,

I become more and more aware of what they’re yelling as it wakes me from my sleep,

Five thirty the clock reads of course I can’t go back to sleep,

I listen to the battle all too able to destroy the glass figures that they are,

I wait for the finial cannon blast to end send one into defeat,

Thankfully it never comes beaten by the white flag raised by the chorus of alarm clocks starting to go off

I begin my journey down the stairs giving my best fake yawn,

The fight now drawing to an end,

Scared to make any sounds I sneak into the bathroom to begin my morning routine,

I try my best to not disturb the still weak household,

Afraid to get in trouble, so I try to do what any middle child is best at and just disappear,

Ready for the day a slink out off to school,

I quietly sit to myself the yelling still fresh in my mind,

Dark rings scream my lack of sleep mocking the screams from my father,

My yawns imitate the speechlessness of my mother,

And my silence still holds firm for I am “not quite understanding it but frightened all the same”.   

1 comment:

  1. I think this is really nicely written and it really caught my eye. I really liked the formatting choice because it really added to the suspense and mood in the story. I also really liked the sentence "Dark rings scream my lack of sleep, mocking the screams from my father". It really brings out the mood and tone and is a beautiful use of personification.

    ReplyDelete