Sunday, September 18, 2016

The Color of Water blog post 2

"Then why cry?"
"I'm crying 'cause I'm happy. Anything wrong with that?"
"No",  I said, but there was, because happy people did not cry like she did.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
".... and one afternoon on the way home from church I asked her whether God was black or white. A deep sigh. "Oh boy... God's not black. He's not white. He's a spirit."
"Does he like black or white people better?"
"He loves all people. He's a spirit."
"What's a spirit?"
"A spirit's a spirit."
"What color is God's spirit?"
"It doesn't have a color," she said. "God is the color of water. Water doesn't have a color."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
These were quotes of James and his mother talking in and from church about two separate topics. The topic of the first quote isn't heavily defined, except that James's mother is crying in church, but I do like the first quote a lot because it can be relatable in a sense of when you say you're happy/crying with joy, but you actually aren't happy and don't want to let them know you are. It could also relate to when you are unsure if you are happy about something or not. This quote caused me to become very sympathetic towards James and his mother when I read it, realizing that James can see when his mother is in anguish even though she is saying that she isn't. I myself have never been able to tell when people are actually upset or not, especially with my family, so this kind of quote makes me want to re-read it over and over again.
The second quote is one that I find moving (in a mental sense), and poetic, due to the imagery Mrs.McBride (James's mother) of how she believes God looks. Images many times have shown how God is presented race-wise, and I find that unbelievable, because like Mrs. McBride said, A spirit is not defined by race, a spirit has no racial color, just like love. In my opinion, there is no racial color to love itself. Love, just like how James's mother thought of God, is the color of Water. <3

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you that a spirit has no racial color. I really enjoyed how James's mother let her kids know that race doesn't matter but its more on what's on the inside. I also agree that this quote is very poetic and has a lot of meaning behind it. This quote really helped sum up what the mother wanted her kids to know which was that, you shouldn't let your race define you.

    ReplyDelete