Sunday, September 18, 2016

The Color of Water Blog #2 Character Descriptions

           So far, I think Rosetta is one of my favorite characters. “Rosetta was the eldest sister and the smartest of all my siblings. From her perch atop her bed-a bed, incidentally, that she shared with no one-Rosetta sat regally on a throne of bed pillows, legs crossed Buddha fashion, while drinking ice water, listening to her favorite public radio station, WBAI, and giving commands all day. She would order us to serve her ice water in tall glasses and send us to the candy store for Devil Dogs and Montclair cigarettes, which we fetched with great dispatch and offered to her with proper subservience. She slept with the radio blasting and the lights on. While she napped, we would creep past her bed, afraid to arouse the slumbering master. She defied anyone to challenge her. My older brothers wore their hats sideways and talked in low voices about Jim Brown and Muhammad Ali, but not even the boldest of them, not even eldest brother Dennis, to whom we all bowed low, fooled with Rosetta. Rosetta was the resident queen of the house.” Rosetta is one of the author's oldest sisters. Rosetta has a personality of me and my two sisters. I liked how the author used descriptive words to thoroughly describe her personality and her actions that made her the superior sibling and earn everyone's respect. When the author described how she would order around her siblings to fetch certain things, it reminded me of my older sister bossing my little brother and I around. In general, I think Rosetta is one of the cooler siblings out of the author's siblings and it's cool how I can relate her to all my siblings and me. 

2 comments:

  1. This is a great blog post overall! I really liked the quote you chose because it allowed me to get to know the character without actually having to read the book. I also liked your personal connection because it directly relates to the quote in a funny and creative way. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Mack! I wonder what are some specific literary devices that you will use to write about your sister that McBride uses to talk about Rosetta?

    ReplyDelete