Saturday, September 24, 2016

Blog post 3 (reflections on writing)

          As I'm getting close to finishing the current memoir I am reading, I'm realizing why I like this certain memoir so much. I enjoy reading them so much due to their plot, setting, characters, imagery, and other aspects of the book that are very different from anything I've been through in my life. This makes the book a lot more interesting in my opinion, because it puts me in a different person's perspective, with a life so disparate from mine, it's like I've actually become someone else, I can feel their emotions and share their thoughts/opinions on certain things too. I also happen to like memoirs with a lot of humor in them :). 
          When it comes to ME writing a memoir though, I can't imagine myself being humorous and having it work, or being able to get people interested in my past. My life certainly isn't exciting, and even some good memories I have would bore a possible reader to sleep. I would never be sure if I had not written enough, or if I have written too much. In fact, most of my memoir would likely just be random, scattered stories. There would not be a lot of emotion in it, because I'm not sure where to put past feelings and how to put them down on paper. Sure Imagery is great but what if you are trying to explain a feeling that's hard to describe? If James McBride could do it then so could I (right?). Going back to imagery, I realize that maybe I could try choosing some memories that go in a certain order, and just try to give the reader an extremely vivid view on what happened. The problem with that is, people might get confused with what is even happening due to all the big words and little details being thrown at them, which drags them off course of finding out what's actually happening. At the same time though, I can't just bluntly state some parts of my life, so I might have to get creative with how I explain things. Adding emotions and thoughts into the memoir would be great for me too, as long as I knew how I was going to show it (in the memoir).Other than my worries for writing my own memoir, I'm also unsure about the other problems that different memoir authors have encountered. I'm even gonna guess that they might have had less trouble on it.

1 comment:

  1. I feel like I have similar problems about writing my memoir! Right now in my memoir that I'm reading, the author adds way too much detail, which takes the focus away from the actual storyline. This is a little bit boring to me at least. But I think with practice and finding the right topic, we will be able to write a memoir her that's interesting, with enough detail but not too much. Also, I'm sure your life is not boring! ;)

    ReplyDelete