Sunday, September 18, 2016

The Glass Castle #2 "voice"


         The Glass Castle is written by the main character Jeannette Walls. In the book, she is writing from memory of her childhood, and writing in first person. Starting off she has a serious voice, but she is telling us her story from when she was a young kid to an adult. Therefor, in a way, she is telling us how she became serious. So far, all but like two chapters were her as a kid, and she shows that. She does exaggerate some topics with details, but things like "demon hunting", "roach killers", and "pervert hunting", she would turn into a game. All the serious issues that people now-a-days see as a huge deal, she treats them as if they aren't real. Most of that comes from her parents. They choose to go with the flow, and let nature take its course. So all the kids do too. 
         Jeannette also, from the way she is raised, talks like an adult. She is kid with the most reasoning talking skills. She relies on logic and facts to sort things out. Just like the way her dad does. She may occasionally believe in something she doesn't see, but her parents tell her or she figures it out herself. So it doesn't last long. Not so much does the author use metaphors to get something across, but her mom and dad do. That was the first thing I noticed when reading the book. I'm not sure if it's because they want their kids to decide the meaning on their own, or because they don't want to directly tell the kids the harsh truth or meaning.
        The author has not switched back and forth at all though between her young self and adult self. I am not sure if she will, because the story is coming across fine without it. That is how I have interpreted Jeannette Walls voice and personality so far in the book. I wonder how she will change as she grows up. 

6 comments:

  1. That type of writing where the authors age switches or the point of view switches confuses me. I get so into the story and forget to see who is even telling it. I do think it makes the story very interesting though and keeps the reader on their feet constantly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That type of writing where the authors age switches or the point of view switches confuses me. I get so into the story and forget to see who is even telling it. I do think it makes the story very interesting though and keeps the reader on their feet constantly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like how you included what you wonder at the end of your post. Even though this isn't my book, I feel like I know more about now after reading your post. The main character seems to have had a very interesting childhood, and a unique personality. I can see how she had a different experience growing up than most kids normally do.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can really relate because I've noticed this through out the book so far. I really like how you interpreted the book. Everyone reads differently and I hadn't really thought of it that way until I read this. Also I really like the question at the end, because it urges you to think about what will happen and use your imagination.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Cate! You are asking great questions about how the author structures and narrates her life story. Why do you think Walls chooses to tell her story through reflection? How does structuring the memoir in that way affect the reading experience? If you choose to write your memoir about a time in your life when you were much younger, will you write it in the voice of your younger self or through your perspective now, looking back?

    ReplyDelete