Sunday, September 25, 2016

Close Reading: The Glass Castle

"What the reporter wrote influence what people thought about and talked about the next day; he knew what was really going on. I decided I wanted to be one of the people who knew what was really going on."
I really loved this line because it really shows a lot of Jeannette's character. Although her view on the world has been extremely skewed by her parents, she still has that thirst for knowledge. She wants to know the full story. I think it's also important to see, as she gets older, she starts to realize there is more out there and she wanted to be part of it. These aren't the thoughts of some poor little girl who plans to go nowhere with her life, these are ambitious thoughts of making more of one's self and having an impact. I thought the sentence structure was nice. I really liked the way it tied in why she was interested in reporting news just by laying out the two reasons, but it a more creative way. She easily could have said, "I like working with the newspaper because reporters had influence and knew what was really going on." If she had said it like that it wouldn't have been near as interesting for the reader. Even though this isn't some super descriptive thing with imagery and similes and personification, the author still manages to make it more fun to read just by the way the words are laid out. I also liked the way she said 'I decided' because in her life, she really doesn't get to make many choices for herself, but this reminds the reader(s) that even when your life seems completely out of control, you still have your own thoughts. This is going to sound really cheesy, but I was watching Girl Meets World the other day and that's what the episode was about. The main character, Riley, felt like she couldn't control anything in her life and throughout the episode she learned that what she could control was her reaction to life. Jeannette could have stopped caring about her siblings and she could've stopped caring altogether. She didn't have to ever get away from her parents. She could've stayed like them forever, but she didn't. Even though the world beat her down, she kept going and that's what I see in this quote. The decision to keep going.

2 comments:

  1. Grace, I agree that the structure makes it way more interesting. Even though, like you said, it's not fancy with a bunch of imagery and stuff, the way it's laid out makes it more interesting to read. This character also seems interesting and it seems like even though she has gone through tough experiences, she believes in herself and will not give up on the things she loves.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What you said you helped me think about the theme's in this book. In class me made theme sentences about this book, and the one my group came up with was that, sometimes, people don't always live up to your expectations. When Jeannette and her family were in Phoenix, Jeannette wanted her father to stop drinking. He tried, but eventually, he went back to his old ways. This was the only real theme that stood out to me, but now I see that there was also another one. That people who come from the worst situations, can still be optimistic.

    ReplyDelete