Sunday, September 25, 2016

6 word memoirs; Bad Boy Blog number 3

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ejndNExso9M This is a video about 6 word memoirs.
     It doesn't have to be a hundreds of pages long to be considered a memoir. For some memoirs, you only need six words. All that is needed is enough to get your point across and tell what happened in the situation you are describing. You don't need to over use detail just to be super wordy or descriptive, if you just get straight to the point, then the reader will have no problem understanding what you are trying to say. This is why i chose to talk about 6 word memoirs.
     In the video I saw one 6 word memoir in particular that I really liked. It was by someone named Teagan E. and it said, "finally "weird"  is a compliment". This quote stood out to me because, now in this time, a good chunk of the worlds population may be considered by others to be weird. Now rather than gibing the whole backstory and going more in depth about why they started to take being called "weird" as a compliment, Teagan just straight up said it how it was. That 6 word memoir may work different ways for many people but in the end it will be the same with being called "weird", being a compliment.
     In the perspective of Walter Dean Myers, I believe his six word memoir would be something like, " bullying sucks, especially for loving reading ". I say this because Walter loved to read. The only problem was that his classmates thought that reading was not so cool, so they would tease Walter for reading in general, but also for the way he read and spoke. So I would definitely say Walters 6 word memoir would have something to do with bullying as well as his love for reading. 

4 comments:

  1. I think six word memoirs are such a cool idea, I always have. I mean six words used to describe a time in your life, it's just brilliant because you as a writer can take it wherever you want to. And then as a reader you can perceive it how you want to. I like the one you thought of for your character, it seemed very accurate based on your reasoning. I can't agree more with your statement about how six words is all you need to tell what happened in whatever situation, I think that is so true. Also cool video.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also believe that six word memoirs are really cool. I believe they explain so much in such little amount of words. It's like a Vine; you have six seconds to record something and make it hit and make it entertaining. People have become extremely famous off of Vines and have been in movies because of their success on Vine and I believe that teens or whoever is interested in six-word memories can become just as famous, if not, more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is the first time I've ever heard of a six word memoir, and it looks super fun. I would probably try (and fai) to write one (maybe even the class could try, that would be interesting). I also like how you created one for your memoir, because it actually described a big part of the memoir spot on! Just to be able to get to the roots of a memoir with little to no detail and only six words sounds impressive. I'm glad I found this, I'm definitely gonna give it a try :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Six word memoirs seem like a very interesting idea. I think that it would be fun to make them. However, I don't think they do as good of a job telling your story as standard memoirs. In your example, "finally, 'weird' is a complement", Teagan is certainly telling a story, but it isn't necessarily her story alone. As you said, most of the world's population could be considered weird in one way or another. Therefore, many other people could have exactly the same six word memoir. Part of the beauty of a memoir is the individualism. Standard memoirs tell your story, and yours alone. No one else could write the same memoir as you because no one else has had the same experiences as you. But as I was watching the six word memoirs video, I noticed that I could have thought of the same six words to apply to myself. Those "super wordy" descriptions are what give you character. To put it simply, I think that six word memoirs are good if you want others to relate to you, but standard memoirs tell a better story of who you are personally and what you have gone through.

    ReplyDelete