Monday, September 19, 2016

Reflections on Writing Memoir Blog Post #2

My group is reading The Circuit by Francisco JiménezI will be using the Reflections on Writing Memoir, as I talk about writing memoirs.  I believe that some people when they're writing memoirs face problems like not knowing where to start, or not knowing where to end.  Also, memoir authors face problems like what they should include in their memoir.  I'm wondering how authors reach back into the void of memory to grab information about their young life.  For example, in my book, The Circuit, Francisco Jiménez reached back into his life before school for information in his life.  I'm wondering how in the world he did that, because I can barely remember Pre-K, let alone before Pre-School!  While I am thinking about my own memoir, there are some "hang-ups" that I am worried about.  For example, there is what I'm going to talk about in the memoir, where I'm going to start, how I'm going to start, and what order I'm going to put my stories in.  Another problem that memoir authors may face is if their stories are going to be interesting enough to their audience to put in their memoir.  At this point, the author may go ask family or friends what he or she should put in.  This is another "hang-up" that I am afraid that I will face, because there haven't been enough interesting events in my life to write about.  There are about 3 or 4 interesting moments that I can think of.  Here are a couple of them.  I once got hit in the head with a baseball and got a mild concussion.  It knocked me out for a couple of minutes.  When I came to, I started bawling and ran over to my dad, who put a cold water bottle on the lump, which was HUGE!!!  I then went to urgent care, finding out that I didn't have to go to school the next week (YAAAAAASSSS!!!), and that was it.  Also, my earliest memory was me in Oklahoma with my late grandfather feeding me M&M's on his hospital bed.

That's it for this post!  Please Comment down below!  I will be blogging weekly until the 3rd of October (my birthday woop woop).  Thanks for reading!!!

4 comments:

  1. I feel ya! When I think about writing a memoir I have like nothing interesting about my life. I love how organized your thoughts are and how you connected your book to your opinion. I do agree that it is hard to come up with thing right off the top of your head. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Chance! Great questions to ask about the difficulties of writing a memoir. It isn't necessarily what we write but how we write it. Your life doesn't have to be filled with a series of amazing events--most people's lives aren't. Using literary devices will help make any story interesting! I am already intrigued by your story about your grandfather feeding you M&M's on his hospital bed. What were you wearing that day? What was the weather like? What color were the walls of the hospital room? Were there any sounds that made the moment feel a certain way? Any smells? I encourage you to keep writing about that memory with a lot of detail.

    ReplyDelete
  3. First things first, happy late birthday. Second thing, I totally agree with what you said about memoirs. I too find memoirs very hard to write. One thing you said was you were between writing it and not writing it. But we are required to write a memoir, so that's not really your choice, unless you were talking about the topic. I love that you said iffy iffy things. You seem to already know how to write a memoir.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can totally see where you are coming from, I feel like my life is too boring for you guys to read about. There are a FEW things that make my life more interesting than average, like traveling for example. Then I don’t think anybody could remember that far back and remember it that vividly.

    ReplyDelete