Sunday, September 18, 2016

Into Thin Air Blog Post #2

Into Thin Air is a very well written book, it is a very good story to use to learn about writing a memoir, it is a very good book so far to learn from, it has very good use of literary devices and character development. My book is the kind of story you would think that you could never connect to your own life, its so full of adventure and excitement I would never have thought to connect it to my life in any way. The way the author drops sudden hints and bits and pieces of information is intriguing and very well done. I think that the way the author uses literary devices is very well done and he uses them in a way that engages the reader. It provides a way to connect to the text even if you never had any of these experiences. I feel as though the way the author describes each character and the way he uses literary devices to open the text to interpretation by the reader. I think reading this memoir gave me a sense of what I would need to use in terms of using tone, mood, imagery, and character development when I write my memoir. I learned so much all ready by reading other peoples writing and analyzing how they write. I feel as though by reading a memoir over the summer and in class will help me develop some memoir writing skills and that I will get a good feel of how to properly form a memoir and what techniques to use when writing because it may be hard to write from personal experience and not get very nervous and mess up whatever you had or are learning to help yourself when you write whatever you are writing and whatever it is about. I think reading this memoir so far has really helped me help myself with becoming a better writer.

4 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey I find what you typed to be pretty awesome. It shows how well you relate to the story and also how you could change as a writer as well as a person. It relates to many other peoples lives but I think yours in particular is very interesting because you said that the author drops hints and I know that your the type of person. You don't like to give it away,you like to see if they can figure it out by giving them hints. You are also descriptive when you talk about a person as you said the author was very descriptive when talking about the charters. It may not sound like the same thing but if you look at it in the way I do you will then understand where I am coming from.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am going though the same thing with my book! I did not realize how much I could connect to the amount of adventure and excitement as much as I did. I realized I could connect to the authors thoughts and feelings more. I agree that reading these memoirs has improved my understanding in using literary devices and helps me better understand how to read like a writer.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Maya! You pose great questions about the writing process, specifically the process of writing a memoir. I wonder what exactly about Into Thin Air makes it such a good book? What specific literary devices does the author employ so that the reader can relate to the characters in the book? You say, "I think reading this memoir gave me a sense of what I would need to use in terms of using tone, mood, imagery, and character development when I write my memoir". What are specific examples of where Krakauer uses those devices in Into Thin Air that inspire your writing process?

    ReplyDelete