Sunday, September 18, 2016

Black Boy Memoir Blog #2

"I had not settled in my mind whether I believed in God or not"

"I had not settled in my mind whether I believed in God or not" my friend(no name) said to me during a sleep over at my house. She was in a colorful hammock speaking to me. I was half asleep maybe 10 feet away in my warm bed as she and I talked back and forth about what we believed in for hours. We were around twelve years old and knew we could believe in anything or everything but still we were unsure.
It was almost midnight and we were both very tired but our minds were still sharp. We kept talking about our futures and what we wanted to be/do in life. We also talked about how lucky we were compared to other kids and how we could help others. We continued talking forever and the time passed by so quickly. We looked at the bright gleaming clock and saw that it was 2:30 am, I was filled with joy and leaped up with excitement because I had never stayed up that long. I always went to sleep very early and staying up late was always exciting for me as a kid.
We agreed to stop speaking and fell asleep within seconds. The next morning we were very tired but happy because of how clear our heads were. My head felt so clear and my thoughts were so organized. When we went outside the sky was so bright and blue that everything else seemed so small. When we talked about the world at night it seemed so big but when we went outside we felt bigger and ready to reach our dreams. Our dreams always gave us something to hope for and work towards.

2 comments:

  1. Great job on this, I love the description of the morning and that feeling you have when you've just woken up and you feel sharp, and clear, and everything seems to fit together. If I could say one thing, I think you could use a little more diversity in the beginnings of your sentences? You seem to use "we" a lot, but that's just my opinion. Again, the feeling of this is very clear through the descriptive text and a very good job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks I noticed that too when I read over it but I didn't have time to go back and make edits.

      Delete