Sunday, September 25, 2016

The Glass Castle #3 "Links and Videos"

http://www.publishersweekly.com/pw/by-topic/columns-and-blogs/soapbox/article/32463-truth-and-consequences.html

By Publishers Weekly

This is a link to an article/review about The Glass Castle. I chose this article because it doesn't just talk about what I agree with. There are some parts in it saying that memoir writers are known as liars. Or parts where the opinion of the author took over what the other people said. But most of the writing  I read, I agree with 100%. It is talking about the flaws in the parenting, and the heart warming issues the book covers. So I chose this article because it reminded me of my book club discussions in class. Where we really do question, agree, and speak-out about the writing we just read. There are many sides that this article covers, just like we do in class.

One of the main topics it covers is, reviews of the book and how other people interpret it. The author did a lot of research in stores, online websites, and talking to people in general. Asking whether or not they agreed on the same topics, and to get different points of views.

The author also included scenes from the book. The important ones like, how the kids were let down by the parents, how the kids were being raised, and what was going on inside the parents head. For a majority of the book, you are kind of wondering why the parents are the way they are. And why is it so hard for the parents to see what they are putting their kids through.

I found the article that reminded me of how I think while I am reading this book. It was showing different points of views, based on how other people thought. And since you learn from other people, this was a good putting the facts and opinions together.

2 comments:

  1. Reading that article it really reminded me of our conversations that we have in our bookclub. Especially when we talk about the meaning of the book. The fact that the way she describes everything shows us her opinion on it. Along with her opinion the story holds a deeper meaning than just the story that she's telling, and were just trying to figure it out

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read this book for my summer assignment and I really loved it. I was also wondering why it was so hard for the parents to realize what their kids were going through. I understand that the Dad was always drunk but the mother could have taken more action maybe.

    ReplyDelete