Monday, September 19, 2016

Into Thin Air Post #1

"As I exchange banal congratulations with the climbers filing past, inwardly I was frantic: "While you guys are f****** around here, I'm losing brain cells by the millions!"" (Into Thin Air, page 10, paragraph 20)

When I was in seventh grade in Lucas Middle School I was in A.I.G. in all the subjects that I could be in, and most of my friends were there. I was in a soccer team outside of school and I also took other activities such as piano practice, Enopi for high school work, and even more. I was a quiet, positive, smart, athletic person with lots of friends in school.

Next school year in eight grade something changed, I went to a new school...DSA. 

When I came to this new school I didn't have a lot of things, I stopped all the extracurricular activities that I did, my skill in the activities decreased including academically. And worst of all (In the beginning), I had two people in the school who I kind of remembered, and one didn't have a class with me. I then realized how much I took having so many friends in school for granted and how school was just depressing to be in with no friends. For some reason I didn't go to honors math and English due to some new student problem thing. For math I went to regular eight grade math and by doing so I actually forgot what I already learned the year before due to summer effects and I didn't recover properly. School was honestly great to be in before but in the beginning of eight grade it was horrible. All my friends from before told me about all that I was missing and about great things that happened in my school, I acted like I was fine and things were great here in DSA for me too. They kept on rising, I was falling. Later on as the school year kept on going I made new friends and I was happier.

The reason the quote all the way above connected to that period of my life was because in it the author was acting happy to the others who were climbing higher while at the same time he was really not happy and he was losing a very important thing to him. In that case it was oxygen and patience, in my case it was missing friends and ability. 

8 comments:

  1. In regards to your comment about the new student mess up thing, and also just generally how school is structured, yeah, it sucks.
    Like this school system is pretty messed up, what with emphasis being placed on grades and extracurriculars, and never on mental health. And I think that friends are a large part of that, but no one seems to care if you're lonely. Yeah, anyways, I just wanted to complain.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like that you shared a connection to this quote that was on the more personal side. It shows that your really connecting to this book and its great how you can relate to it on a personal level.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I too agree that moving to a new school is challenging. It is just like that transition from elementary school to middle school. Some of your friends may go with you but some may go there different ways. It is always good to stay positive in these situations because then you can only do better. I like your connection to the story and how you said you put on a happy face even in times where you were actually not happy. Great connection, its cool that you can relate to this situation, and how you knew how to fix what was up.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I liked how you connected to the quote on a personal level. I get it having to go to a new school and all your friends you have at the school not being your classes. Over time, it gets better you make new friends and everything gets back on track. Overall, I think you did a good job on connecting to the quote on a deep level.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think you did a great job on creating a deep relation/connection between how you felt in eighth grade. Being your first year at DSA and how the character felt on the mountain. I thought it was very interesting to see how you felt in the beginning of last year.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really like how you connected deeply to this quote in not an abstract way but kind of different than how you would expect. Your example works very well in relation to this line though when context is given on the line. I personally have never moved schools mid way through so this was interesting to read your perspective.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really liked the way you connected your personal life with the story the author was telling. It really helped me to understand what the author was saying and how it would impact someone like me in regular everyday life. I'm really happy that you've know made new friends and are happy.

    ReplyDelete