Sunday, September 25, 2016

The Color of Water #3 :Links and Videos

This is a video of the author James McBride's oldest brother being interviewed. His name is Andrew McBride Jr., but he goes by his middle name, Dennis. He is the oldest out of twelve children. I think this video is interesting because usually people would just interview the author, and this interviewer decided that she also wanted to see what one of his siblings thought of the book. Dennis answers questions like what he thinks of the description of himself in the book, and how he thinks the stories told in the book connect to reality. After watching this interview, I saw another side of the story of their family. He talks about how failure was not an option, him being the oldest. I also saw another side of how the mother ran things in the house from his point of view. Everyone in the family who was alive at that time, including the mother, admits that the father helped them stay structured, but later, the mother filled that position. When their father died, Dennis felt he needed to step up and become the man of the house. His plan was to quit school and get a job to help support his mom, who at that time had seven kids including him, and was pregnant with the author. I was surprised at this, because based on what I had read about their mother, she seemed very independent, and determined to send all of her kids to school. But as I kept watching, I saw that his mother refused to let him go through with his plan. When the interviewer asks if he thinks most of the stories are accurate, he responds by saying that he is proud of his brother, and the one thing he disagrees with the most is how torn their mother was between the black and white community, in that he didn't think she was as torn as the book made it seem.

3 comments:

  1. I understand when you say "Usually they just want to interview the author."
    I like how you said they want an perspective from a sibling, because the memoir included many sibilings. I understand how the father kept the family together but when the father died, the mother took that role. I love that the mother was determined to get all her kids into college, that shows a lot of dedication.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I liked how you chose the authors brother to get another perspective. I liked how you pointed out how included how you explained how you took the interview as. Good job pointing out how they usually interview the author and how you showed how the brother and the author thought of their lives differently.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I liked how you chose the authors brother to get another perspective. I liked how you pointed out how included how you explained how you took the interview as. Good job pointing out how they usually interview the author and how you showed how the brother and the author thought of their lives differently.

    ReplyDelete