Sunday, September 25, 2016

The Glass Castle - Blog 3

Your Words Become Mine :
     "The blue water sparkled and churned white with foam...."

      It was July 29th, and my family drove up to a beautiful, white Floridian house. The palm trees in the yard danced around in the wind, and a salty smell drifted through the air. It was a sunny day in Palm Coast, Florida, and it was the first day of my summer vacation.
     My best friend Olivia, who I took with me on the vacation, jumped out of our Subaru with excitement. Neither one of us were wearing shoes and the pavement felt like we were stepping on fire, but we had no cares in the world.
     My aunt and uncle opened their welcoming front door and greeted us with hugs. We stepped inside and were immediately cooled by a gust of much needed air-conditioning. The house was huge, and everything looked new. There were Floridian touches everywhere, such as the extravagant turtle decorations, shells scattered about the house, and a radio that played Bob Marley music. To me, it was paradise.
     Once we had taken all of our things inside, and unpacked it in our rooms, Olivia and I went to help my aunt prepare our lunch. We made paninis with mango, chips and salsa, and tall glasses of water. I snuck a piece of mango, and it tasted like heaven in my mouth. My family all helped carry the food outside to the dock where we would be sitting.
     My aunts house was on the Intracoastal Waterway, which was absolutely beautiful and filled with wildlife such as manatees and dolphins. My hair was tied into a neat bun, but as soon as I got outside I let it free. It flowed gracefully in the wind. I walked down the path to the dock, in my flip-flops and hot pink T-shirt, and handed the food to my aunt. I stood at the end of the wooden dock and gazed at the beautiful scene in front of me.
     I watched a group of birds flying in the distance and a boat pass by. I heard the small waves gently slapping the surface of the tiny shore, and my light brown hair glided lazily through the air behind me. My favorite thing that I saw was the water. It sparkled in the afternoon sun and was a deep dark blue. Just the sight of it mesmerized me.
     My family sat down in bright red beach chairs and ate and laughed together. Though it was the end of July, that was the moment when my summer truly started.


2 comments:

  1. Wow! Your writing is great, it sounds so much like Jeanette Walls is sitting next to telling you what to type. Also this prompt is pretty challenging, so good job relating your own thoughts and connecting them with the story. And great job including some of the ideas Jeanette has said in the book! like about summer and July.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought it was amazing how you used metaphors and similes in your writing slash typing. I may not have read the book but if the book relates to how well you wrote your report because you used so much feeling and detail it made me feel like I was reading the book myself. I think you did a great job keep it up.

    ReplyDelete