Sunday, October 2, 2016

Write Alike

The Color of Water #4

Well, we've come to the end of the book, and I must say I really enjoyed it. The author's writing really made me enjoy the book a whole lot more because of his humor, connections, and obstacles. He seems like such a real person, and I love it. About 20 pages from the end though, I began to laugh, and that's because I was thinking about my grandma. I don't know why, but for some odd reason, I just did. No, I'm just playing, I actually made a connection to the writing in the book. The author was describing how his mother is similar or different from when she was younger, and it just really reminded me of my grandma. In the author's description, he talked about how his mother became a feisty old lady, and how she became shorter and stooped over. He also pointed out that her knees were bad, and that it took her longer to get places. And I'm telling you, no joke, that is literally a perfect description of my grandma. She's so short I can see over the top of her head, and I'm a really short person as well, so that's saying something. She has really bad arthritis in her knee, making her the slowest moving person I've ever met, but it's okay because I can be patient. Her attitude is so real and feisty, and she doesn't take any mess from anybody. I feel like it's a good thing to have connections with older people like grandparents, not just so you can describe them, but so you can learn from them. The author talked about how he's learned so much from being around his mother, and how she's influenced him to do good things in the world. By having those special connections with people older than you, you can be influenced by them, learn from them, and someday long in the future, you can even be them. You could be the person giving advice to younger children or adults. I'm kind of sad the book is over, given that it was really good, but I'm also glad that I got to read it, so it's all good.

2 comments:

  1. When you mentioned I think in your first entry that the author used humor to lighten the mood, you also noticed that the authors uses even more humor throughout the book. That shows that the author has from that evidence of you entry, is it true that the author has very consistent writing through out this book. As a comparison, Into Thin Air is not that consistent. Instead of having a theme throughout the book and keeping a certain mood, he writes very detailed and at a slow pace in the beginning and about two thirds through he picks up the pace and it gets more intense. Does the author of your book keep a pretty steady pace throughout?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heyyy ;) I love how you connected the story to a good part of your life (your grandma) I know from experience of meeting your grandma and becoming pals with her that she is exactly how you described it and truth is key (especially when writing a memoir hint hint wink wink) it's also good that you enjoyed your book, I unfortunately can't say the same oops. But I think the fact that you liked it helped you focus more which will make you remember good literary devices that will help you when you start writing your own! I love your grandma so much and I hope she's a feature in your memoir 💗

    ReplyDelete