Sunday, October 2, 2016

Close reading

"Johannes Velez noticed me, even though Maritza Ortiz said I was so ugly that no boy would ever want me. She was the most popular girl in seventh grade. I was nobody. Her reasons for picking on me were as mysterious as Johannes's reasons for catching up with me one day after school and offering to carry my books."

I liked this quote because it reminds me of how much I appreciate that my seventh grade experience wasn't filled with drama about dating. I think its funny that this little section was included and was said the way it was, this book gets very serious at times and its nice to have some comedic relief that brings back memories from 7th grade. Its not always fun to read a book that tells a story while focusing on the sad parts. Its a lot more enjoyable if you focus not only on the sad parts but on the funny parts as well to add a sense of comedic relief. I also like how Johannes is offering to carry her books, I think its funny that the author included his attempt to show interest in her, even though his methods seem outdated by today's standards. I also liked how Esmeralda transitioned from her bully to a boy who has a crush on her. Relating the two by saying that they were both mysterious to her seemed like a smooth transition between subjects and sort of proved her bully wrong since a boy in fact did take interest in her. But that's just how i see it at least.
Image result for shrug

No comments:

Post a Comment