Saturday, October 1, 2016

Into Thin Air Blog Requirement #4

     A literary device Krakauer used most often, and most efficiently for his memoir, is imagery because he uses adjectives a lot to describe almost everything in extreme detail. The author uses imagery by putting adjectives in front of nouns and adverbs in front of verbs. He also adds a few similes or metaphors in the sentence to get the realistic idea of the situation to the reader. He uses this imagery well because in general, he uses it at the right time. The right time is to when there is a lot of versions of a specific thing and the reader would not normally know what it is without the additional imagery. He does not generally use any other types of figurative language. Most of the story is facts and opinions, but even the opinions are not that biased. “Why did veteran Himalayan guides keep moving upward, ushering a gaggle of relatively inexperienced amateurs […] into an apparent death trap?  Fischer saw no reason to waste […] cash on medical treatment for such a minor injury, so he climbed for the next six months with an open, suppurating wound.” (Krakauer). I will use imagery in my own writing to add emotionally realistic emphasis to flashbacks and take up more pages/word count. Imagery helps make distinctions between several types of things and that will be useful because I have an average life but I can still be specific about what happens with what items in my life. I don’t use a lot of imagery when I speak (unless someone doesn’t know what I am talking about).If someone says something significant in my life they might use a metaphor or something in which case I would use imagery or if they were actually important to me (not very often outside of school).

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You say "I don’t use a lot of imagery when I speak (unless someone doesn’t know what I am talking about)."

    Write your story as though the reader doesn't know what you are talking about. Even if you are writing about the most mundane, normal thing ever like eating a bag of Cheetos--pretend you are describing what it is like to eat a Cheeto to someone who has never had one before.

    ReplyDelete