Sunday, October 9, 2016

Into Thin Air Post #3

The author of this book uses a hyperbole really well. A hyperbole is an exaggerated statement or claim not meant to be taken literally. In page number 223 is it used, and especially on paragraph 4. This paragraph from this part in the story explains how and when Beck committed suicide. Krakauer uses lots of imagery in this passage too. He added many details to support his hyperbole. (Before I continue I want to make sure you know this is how I pictured Beck's death when I FIRST read it, you may have thought of something different) So Beck killed himself like this: he first said "Hey I've got this all figured out", then he rolls down a bit, and stretches his arm out wide like Jesus did when he died. He is then blown away in the wind never to be seen again. I strongly felt that the author exaggerated how dramatic this scene really was. But then again Krakauker was experiencing and survived one of the most devastating Mt. Everest storms that has ever come on Mt. Everest. Krakauer used these devices in my opinion to lightly tell us the horror to us, but it also lets us be able to picture it ourselves. The majority of literary devices in this books are mainly hyperbole.

No comments:

Post a Comment