Sunday, October 2, 2016

Bad Boy by Walter Dean Myers Blog number 4

     "Mickey and I went over and found that the man was Langston Hughes. We listened to him talk. He sounded like any black man on the street. There was nothing extraordinary about him, nothing that lifted him out of the ordinary. His humor was gentle, thoughtful. I was disappointed. When I pictured the idea of "writer" in my mind, pictures from my school books came to mind,and Hughes did not fit that picture"
     I love this quote because it explains how similar we are to the people who are considered to be famous, or stars. They are no different than us, it is just that they did something great or something not so great that got their name out there, so people know who they are. They may seem like your average superstar who doesn't talk to anyone because they are "too good for that", but really a lot of the times all they want to do is have a regular conversation without having to worry about people who just care that they are famous. The main reason I love this is because of Walters reaction. He was not expecting at all for Langston Hughes to sound like "every black man in the street". I think that it made Walter realize a connection that him and Langston were similar. This also seemed to make him have a different point of view on what it is like to be a famous writer. He saw that it was not as complicated and hard as he thought. He was always trying to see things like a "writer" before, but what he really needed to do was see things the way he saw them, in his own mind and opinion, and write like that. That is why this is one of my favorite quotes from Bad Boy by Walter Dean Myers.

1 comment:

  1. The quote you chose was really cool! I like your point of view on how Walter perceived writers to be compared to what they are actually like. Also, I like the way that you connected how we "regular" people are not that much different from famous people. When you highlight how Walter was always looking up and trying to think like a writer, is also how everybody looks up to celebrities and tries to also imitate and be like them.

    ReplyDelete