Sunday, October 2, 2016

Black Boy #4 Naiveity and irony

         In black boy, there's a section where Richard finally gets out of his house and moves into the city. He expects it to be super civilized and advanced, with less racism and more opportunities for him to get a job. The first day there, however, he's taken up by this very religious mother and her daughter. Since he's not very religious himself, he feels very awkward around this family. It becomes worse when the mother shows great interest in him marrying her daughter, and so does the daughter. This completely bowls Richard over. In his hometown, he says, all of the girls were sharp and calculating. But this one is very simple and focused on marrying him, impressed by his ninth-grade education and showing no interest in anything but him. He rejects her advances.

       Later, he's walking to his job and thinking about how naive the family was, when he finds a jug of good alcohol. Some black guy comes up to him and asks if it's his, then says that they should sell it to someone for good money. They take the jug to a white guy, the guy questions them for a bit, then the two other guys say they're going to go sell it and give him the money later. Eventually Richard realizes that they played him, using him to get their alcohol safely away. He was just thinking about how naive people were there, when he was the naive one as well.
       I just admire how the author made those experiences into some really good irony, when they were probably not that neat in real life. That's some things that memoir and historical fiction writers have to do to have a good, coherent story. For example, in the play Hamilton, Aaron Burr wasn't really the second of Lee, Lin-Manuel Miranda just had to write it like that for the story to fit together properly and so there wouldn't be this random second at the duel.
        A lot of what we've been writing about in class has been about the twisting of stories and how, if you can't really remember something, you can fib a little to make it work. On the other hand, it might be a blessing, because real life is strange and twisted with no distinguishable story and if you wrote it all down exactly the way it is it wouldn't make any sense.
         I wish all memoir writers, including my future self, luck in their writing and quick fingers on their keyboard!

8 comments:

  1. Just in response to the meme, while Bella is a totally useless and boring human being, and Hermione is fantastic and brilliant, and Eowyn is quite possibly the coolest person in all of Arda (excluding Glorfindel, who actually made the prophecy about the Witch King and also slew Gothmog, Lord of all Balrogs during the fall of Gondolin, and then the Valar actually sent him back to middle earth before the istari sorry I realize I'm kind of rambling I really love Glorfindel all right), I think that using Bella as a comparison to this new person isn't a great metaphor.
    'Cos like, from what you've said, this person seems to have a drive, and isn't naive. Like yeah, okay, maybe aspiring to get married isn't a brilliant plan for life, but it's their choice, and they have no illusions about what they want, whereas Bella is just kinda a formless lump of nothing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I honestly clicked this article/blog post because of the meme, (BTW it's amazing!!!) but once I started reading I was hooked. You give it a new feel that many readers try to find were you love a writer's/author's writing that you are disappointed that you finished the book. I see both character in your writing and factual points that you can easily be recognized and rewritten into even more enjoyable writing.The meme was very well used to show how the female that was practically obsessed with the narrator/the boy to show unlike the other girls, she just wants to put everything behind 'til gets what she wants.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I honestly clicked this article/blog post because of the meme, (BTW it's amazing!!!) but once I started reading I was hooked. You give it a new feel that many readers try to find were you love a writer's/author's writing that you are disappointed that you finished the book. I see both character in your writing and factual points that you can easily be recognized and rewritten into even more enjoyable writing.The meme was very well used to show how the female that was practically obsessed with the narrator/the boy to show unlike the other girls, she just wants to put everything behind 'til gets what she wants.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really enjoy the last part of this post a lot. I myself find it comedic how the author has been thinking about this trait and finds it so simple and stupid and then he himself experiences it and realizes its not necessarily dumb. Just kind of shows unless you've experienced it you cant comment on it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Haha that meme fit in very well with the point you were going for! I agree that when it came to the family, just focusing on marriage seemed kind of ... weird. I feel like the daughter was being more like Bella in the meme, just taking interest in marrying Richard. The parent, I'm wondering if they were just trying to get their kid married off (because you know, strictly religious family) Also putting irony in a story seems more fun to me than just using imagery, but it's still a twist.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I honestly clicked this post because of the meme and have never actually read "Black Boy" but I'm glad that I chose to read this blog post. I also enjoyed how the author used irony in such a way that shows that he is an introspective person. I also thought that the meme fit in well with the post.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I cannot believe that the girl wants to get married with him and her mother is agreeing with it. How old is she? She could be 20 and he is like 30, first she is too young and second I think the barley know each other (I haven’t read the book so I don’t know). He is like she is so naïve and then here is him being naïve also, oh the irony.

    ReplyDelete