Saturday, October 1, 2016

Into Thin Air #4

Alright, so we've come to the end of our journey. Or at least the end of the book. I really want to touch on a few things. First off I want to say that I thought this book was very well done in some ways but for the most part I personally did not enjoy it to the fullest extent, I think it could have been a lot better. Obviously this must have been so hard for him to have written it as he states in the book so I knew this book wasn't going to be perfect. I'm just a harsh judger to be honest so I hope no one takes this too seriously when I say I didn't like this book at all. I think he was all over the place. If he was a food he would be spaghetti because boy I can't untangle any of that mess. The most confusing part was when those three vertical lines popped up somewhere on the page, I knew it was going to be a ride. If you didn't read this book those lines meant that he was skipping from the present to the past, and it never made any sense. You never know if it was past or present because the flow is constant and I think it wasn't a very professional way of writing the book. Sure foreshadowing is a cool and sometimes helpful writing tip but in this case they just confused me. I didn't find them helpful in any way and that's a main reason that prevented me from liking this book. Another thing I want to say is that his voice was not a good voice. It was boring. Oh so very boring. This book literally felt like a grocery list. I sometimes like to read outloud just to humor myself, when I read this I read it in a monotone voice. Anyways on to the last thing, don't worry this is something I liked. Actually the only thing I liked. I noticed that he made things very dramatic when they seemed important. Like when he was using imagery to describe the death of one of the Sherpas that was an A+ on his part because I was intrigued. Also when he was describing Rob Halls death (God bless him) I was literally crying. Like you think in joking but no. It was very emotional and just his writing during that part deserved an award. All in all this book was AGGRESSIVLY mediocre. But. It had its moments where I did throughly enjoy it and my thoughts and prayers go out to all the families who's loved ones have died. This book was something that needed to be shared and had great meaning and I do respect that so hard.

3 comments:

  1. I love your comparison of the writer to spaghetti!! I thought this was a very detailed book review, and I like how you supported your opinion with evidence. I think a lesson you can learn from this memoir is to not make your own memoir boring at all. Make sure it will make people want to continue to read it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you one million percent. I liked how you described his writing as spaghetti, I think even describing it a tangled headphones would work too. The only part that i think was interesting was when they were in the storm and people were dieing. (R.I.P. Rob Hall) Its okay I was in tears too. But all in all I think your blog accurately explains how I feel about this book

    ReplyDelete
  3. Did you notice changes in Krakauer's diction whenever his voice shifted ? What literary devices did he use in the parts where you felt intrigued and emotional?

    ReplyDelete