Sunday, October 2, 2016

Blog Post 4

Your Words Become Mine-

"See, you don't have to think about doing the right thing. If you're for the right thing, then you do it without thinking."

Were my mothers great grandmothers last words to me. I didn't realize at that point that those words would stick with me for the rest of my life. They would be rehearsed in my head every night like a worn out prayer. When my grandmother died I was five, and the day she passed away, so did my soul. I felt a state of grief that no five year old should have to go through, because my great grandmother was the only inspiring person in my life. She was the one who taught me how to cook, how to read, and how to survive my life at home with an abusive father and drug addict mother. My great grandmother was my everything, my only distraction from the real world.brown living room to see
I walked into my house at 10:01 pm. One minute past curfew. I didn't even want to think about all of the trouble I was about to get into. I walked into our tiny brown living room, dreading my father, I spotted him sitting in his giant leather chair, belt in hand.
I put my palms into fists and watched him stand up, rising three feet above me, and raise the belt. I calmly closed my eyes and didn't feel a thing. I was used to the pain so much that i couldn't feel a thing, that I didn't even notice the scars being created on my back, that I didn't notice the beads of sweat dripping down my fathers forehead. I waited for the tormenting to stop, and walked to my room, getting the whiff of cannabis as I passed through the squished hall. I repeated my great grandmothers words to keep myself sane.
"See, you don't have to think about doing the right thing. If you're for the right thing, then you do it without thinking."

2 comments:

  1. I really like how detailed this writing is I think it all fits together very well. The descriptive language definitely gives off the negative feelings of the author. This is a very strong and emotional scene that seems like it will definitely be an important part of a great memoir.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is good. I like the dezails you put into your writing. I like how you used another name for weed to sound more sophisticated. It really elaborates the tone of the writing and makes the reader feel even more connected with story. I am sorry about referring to an inside joke, but my speech impeppermint was really acting up today. Anyway great use of details!

    ReplyDelete