Sunday, October 2, 2016

Into Thin Air Blog Post #4

I felt sad about the deaths of Jon Krakuer's friends and the way he kind of implied that he felt almost guilty about their deaths. I really felt as though when he made a mistake in describing Andy Harris' death, he tried to clear it up and show that he was really sorry for messing up. I think if I tried to write a book about something that was that tragic. I wouldn't be able to finish writing. He wrote about everything easier in the beginning of the book and then at the end he got to the sad part. I feel like that's where I would have had to stop writing because it would have become too overwhelming. I think writing a book about something this meaningful had to be one of the hardest things he did after the accident was over. I think writing about the deaths of friends or anybody even has to be such a hard emotional process. I saw a documentary once when I was little about the same kind of thing happening to some climbers on K2 called the "2008 K2 Disaster" and when I first read this book I thought it would be kind of like what happened but on Everest there was a real reason and on K2 people died because of getting lost, not smart of choices and avalanches, and pretty much a whole array of reasons. On Everest there was one reason, The Storm, that everyone died. so I felt as though even the two are remarkably related at the same time they are completely different. I now realize that when I tried to connect the two accidents I hadn't finished Into Thin Air yet and now that I have finished it the two accidents seem really different, and the reason I tried to compare them is because Everest is the highest mountain on earth and K2 is the second highest mountain. I can now think of them separately and know the differences in my mind because they are two very different situations and I can see that now.

3 comments:

  1. First off I completely agree with you on the fact that writing a memoir about something tragic would be really hard and I probably wouldn't finish writing it either. I also liked how you compared two stories of two different accidents on two different mountains. I also liked how you tried comparing Into Thin Air with something similar that you thought would help you picture what was going on, and then learned from the book that the 2 experiences were completely different.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Maya. I'm one of those people that doesn't talk about their feelings a lot, but when I do, it's usually tragic things that happened in my life, like when people in my family die and stuff. I'll have to tell you that it actually is hard, and something that I don't like to do because it makes me sad. But anyway, this is a great blog post, and I like how you connected the book to something else you've experienced. Talk to you later girl!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sometimes writing about a difficult subject can be cathartic for the writer--it helps them release their emotions.

    ReplyDelete