Sunday, October 2, 2016

Color of Water Blog Post #4

In the last chapter of the book, page 278 to be exact, all the kids are back at home only now they're all grown up. They go home to their mom's place every year for Christmas, even though the house is totally packed not just with 12 kids, but also with 12 grandkids and husbands- and wives-in-law. Everyone wants to do something different, and the mob mentality takes over and they all jump from wanting to go to the movies to wanting to watch TV to something else and so on. Their mom then quietly murmurs that she wants to go get something to eat and that's that. No more arguing. We're going to get something to eat, no questions asked.  This reminds me a lot of the way my mom, despite never wanting to admit that she silently rules the house, does just that.  If she wants something, even though she's never admit it because she's just so selfless like that, we're gonna go get it for her. That's just the way mothers are, I suppose.  This scene is really similar to my life in that way. Both moms are authoritative, but are always nice and would never say outright that they command total authority. I suppose this book is really similar to a lot of people and their lives, and that;s why someone wants to write a memoir. It makes it a lot easier to read and understand a book if you can relate to it, at least for me.  I really liked this book and could relate to it, which is odd when you consider how different his life was to mine. I'm white. He's African-American. I'm an only child. He has more siblings than he could count on his two hands.  But despite these obvious differences, I could still relate to his life. Isn't that cool? I sure think so.

1 comment:

  1. Yes! I believe in what Ms. Garvoille says--reading makes us more empathetic.

    ReplyDelete