Sunday, October 2, 2016

Blog Entry #4 Voice on I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings By Maya Angelou



This memoir kind has a childish personality since it’s written from a child's point of view. She chooses certain word choices in the book  that allows the reader to understand that it’s written from a child's point of view. She also imagines events as her own and  that’s one thing that children do all the time. I remember when I was little use to imagine things as my own and be in my own little world. She also uses a lot of childish emotion and behavior throughout the memorr. There’s one part in the book where she stole a lot  candy and got cavities because of it. Humor is also used throughout the memoir. In chapter twenty-six she tells the story of when her mom shot her business partner because he called her mom a b**** -when she tried to confront about him not doing a good enough job- so she shot him and he gave her a black eye, which I thought was really funny cause wrote that she didn’t kill him but she shot him. I mean your mom shot a guy don’t try to sugar code it she shot someone! Her use of descriptive language in the memoir I think is kind of a childish memory-I know I was very descriptive when I would write as a child and my teachers enjoyed it- but she would be so descriptive when describing food! Like who doesn't put a lot of description into writing about food I mean the main purpose is to make people so hungry by the end of chapter and she surely did that to me. The way she would describe it would make you feel like you were there at the breakfast or at the lunch. It would sometimes allow me to image the long dinners and breakfasts I would have with my family. It made me feel good. Even though this is the last blog for this memoir I was quite impressed with the descriptiveness she used I wish she used more literary devices but overall I thought the book was good could’ve been better though.


1 comment:

  1. Why do you think Angelou chose to write her book as a coming of age story? Why choose to write from the voice of a child and not as an older person reflecting on her story? I think there is something powerful about writing from the perspective of a child. I think it emphasizes the importance of childhood experiences. I think it also let's the child version of Angelou speak back to her assaulter--something she couldn't do as a child. So writing the memoir is like giving her childhood self a voice.

    ReplyDelete